A Springboard Eagle on the Gamers Championship
Aussie Min Woo Lee springboarded himself proper into the thick of it on the Gamers Championship after holing his second shot on the first gap Saturday. The eagle received the two-time DP World Tour winner to eight beneath and one off the lead after only one gap. 5 hours later and after a 66, Lee is 2 pictures off the lead of Scottie Scheffler at 12 beneath, however the one purser inside three pictures of the World No. 2. That’s regardless of almost lacking the sector for the Gamers two weeks in the past.
5 Issues to Know About Min Woo Lee
Lee won’t have essentially the most title recognition, so listed here are 5 issues to know concerning the 24-year-old.
- Min Woo is the youthful brother of reigning U.S. Ladies’s champion Minjee Lee.
- Their mom, Clara, can be a golf skilled, which makes good sense when you think about how profitable each youngsters are, each rating within the high 50 of their respective world rankings (Minjee is No. 5 whereas Min Woo is No. 50).
- Minjee has received eight instances on the LPGA Tour, together with two majors. She additionally received the 2012 U.S. Lady’s Junior Novice. When Min Woo received the 2016 U.S. Boy’s Junior Novice, the pair turned the primary siblings ever to each win a junior am title.
- When Min Woo performed the Masters for the primary time final 12 months, Minjee caddied for her little brother within the Par 3 contest.
- Whereas Lee is trying to find his first PGA Tour win this week, he has discovered the winner’s circle twice on the DP World Tour. He was victorious on the 2020 ISPS Handa Vic Open in his dwelling nation of Australia. He additionally prevailed in a playoff towards Thomas Detry and Matt Fitzpatrick on the 2021 Abdrn Scottish Open, the 12 months earlier than the occasion began being co-sanctioned by each the DP World and PGA Excursions.
A Lengthy Hitter
The typical ball pace on the PGA Tour this season is just below 173 mph. Lee hit 172 mph on the twelfth gap Saturday with an iron! He has clocked 190 mph or sooner ball pace 13 instances this week and leads the sector in driving distance on all tee pictures. His 124.64 common clubhead pace in his two occasions on the PGA Tour this season would rank third for the season if he certified.
Rising Quick within the World Rankings
Whereas Lee isn’t a member of the PGA Tour, he made his first Tour begin of the season final month on the Honda Basic and put collectively a strong ultimate spherical of 66 to complete T26. Whereas Lee entered the week at No. 47 on the planet, the end ended up bumping him down to precisely No. 50, the place he nonetheless is that this week. Had Lee shot 67 on Sunday and completed T28, he wouldn’t have earned sufficient factors to remain forward of Lucas Herbert and would have fallen to No. 51. The cutoff for the highest 50 within the Official World Rankings to qualify for the Gamers was after the Honda and he would have had no different method into the sector.
A Likelihood at Particular Short-term Membership
Whereas Lee isn’t a PGA Tour member but, a solo fourth or higher Sunday would earn him Particular Short-term Membership for the rest of the season. To earn Particular Short-term standing, a participant should earn the equal variety of non-member FedEx Cup factors as final season’s One hundred and fiftieth-place finisher within the standings. Particular Short-term members are in a position to play on limitless sponsor exemptions. In the event that they safe sufficient FedEx Cup factors to put inside the highest 125 on the finish of the season, they earn membership for the next season.
Wanting For a Main Enhance
After all, Lee would like to win, securing a five-year membership to the PGA Tour and exemptions into all 4 majors for the subsequent three years. “I clearly performed the majors final 12 months and performed rather well in them,” Lee stated. “I positively really feel like I had the potential to be up there. Clearly, guys are enjoying actually good and have such good stretches. However, yeah, I used to be simply hoping for per week like this and to play actually good golf and never too many errors.”
Concerning the Creator
Jack Hirsh is an assistant editor at GOLF. A Pennsylvania native, Jack is 2020 graduate of Penn State College, incomes levels in broadcast journalism and political science. He was captain of his highschool golf workforce and nonetheless *tries* to stay aggressive in native amateurs. Earlier than becoming a member of GOLF, Jack spent two years working at a TV station in Bend, Oregon, primarily as Multimedia Journalist/reporter, but additionally producing, anchoring and even presenting the climate. He could be reached at [email protected]
Credit score: https://golf.com/information/min-woo-lee-five-things-to-know/